Nordic’s© Cold Climate Air to Water heat pump
Air source heat pumps require no ground loop installation and are therefore cheaper upfront to install as compared to a geothermal heat pump. As a result, this can make the Air to Water heat pump an attractive solution depending on local conditions and budget. Maritime Geothermal, being a leader in heat pump technology, has made several adjustments to the ‘traditional’ air source heat pump design to create high efficiencies even at very low outdoor air temperatures.
Air source versus geothermal (ground source)
An air source heat pump uses energy contained in the air as its source for heating. A ground source, or geothermal heat pump, uses energy contained in the Earth as its source for heating. How to decide which technology to use? There are many factors to consider. Most important are the local climate, available space for a geothermal loop field, budget and alternative heating fuel (for example electric heat, natural gas, propane, wood, oil).
Please contact us directly if you have any questions about this. We have decades of experience with these technologies and are excited to assist you in this.
The manufacturer also has good information available. You can download MG-All-About-Air-Source-Guide, or visit their website to learn more about their air source heat pump products.
See unique features of this Air to Water air-source heat pump in this video.
Standard product features are:
- Indoor Unit – industry leading 24” x 28” footprint with premium appearance.
- High Performance Outdoor Unit – for superior heating in cold temperatures & efficient cooling in hot climates. Hinge mounted door for ease of service. Raised mounting leg kits available.
- Fan Unit – Outdoor unit fan is true variable speed with ECM-style hub motor, for maximum energy efficiency and minimum service.
- Intelligent Defrost Logic – minimizes energy required to defrost the outdoor coil.
- Outdoor Ice Channeling Design – no bottom tray & angled outdoor coil for no ice build-up.
- Compressor – Copeland Ultratech® two-stage scroll, with double isolation for quiet operation; located in indoor unit for ease of cold-weather service, and better refrigerant/oil management.
- Gen2 Electronic Control Board – with external two-line digital user interface. Includes automatic hot water output control based on outdoor temperature, data logging, internet and laptop USB connections, and BACnet interface.
- Refrigerant Pressure Sensors – electronic high and low, displayed by user interface.
- Electronic Expansion Valves (EEV’s) – for precise refrigerant control.
- Start Capacitor Kit & Suction Accumulator.
- Domestic Hot Water – double walled heat exchanger and ECM bronze head circulator factory installed, an exclusive Nordic feature in the air-source market.